First, set the timer.
Then get a game plan together and work the plan.
Ready, set, go!
- Dirty Dishes – Gather all dirty dishes from around the house (*ahem*) and bring them to the kitchen. Move fast!
- Trash – Pick up all the trash off the counters (see how much you can carry at once) and throw it away.
- Refrigerator – Grab everything that goes in the refrigerator and put it where it belongs. Try to make it in one trip.
- Cabinets – Gather everything that belongs in the cabinets and put it in the correct location. Again, try to make one trip.
- Utensils – Pick up all dirty utensils (forks, spoons, knives, spatulas) from the counters and sink to put in the dishwasher’s silverware basket.
- Cups/Glasses/Mugs – Gather all drinking glasses to put on the top shelf of the dishwasher. Try to put similar cups beside each other but don’t get too hung up on it. Remember the timer is on!
- Plates – If you have more than one size plate, start with the smallest size and load them in the dishwasher. Then work your way up to the larger sizes.
- Everything else – Grab all of the big items (pots, pans, strainers, cutting boards) and either put them in the dishwasher or wash them by hand.
- Start the dishwasher – Only if it’s full of course.
- Wash and dry the counters – Wipe down the stove, microwave, and any other appliance that’s dirty with one hand and use another rag to dry with the other hand.
Celebrate if you did!
Now you can leave your sparkling kitchen with your wash cloth and dish rags, put them in the laundry basket and enjoy the rest of your day. While you’re on your way out, take anything else that doesn’t belong in the kitchen and put the items where they belong.
Skills for everyday living
Find 'How To' tutorials on cleaning, cooking and much more
Clean Up Your Act:
How to Clean the Bathroom
How to Sweep the Floor
How to Mop the Floor
How to Menu Plan
How to Fry an Egg